Message from the Chair
I know sci-fi fans loved the movie The Matrix with Keanu Reeves. I found it to be very disturbing. 18 years later, I often wonder if we are actually living in that world where computers create the reality we see. Right now, barely a day goes by without new information documenting the weaponizing of social media to shape public opinion. Sifting through what is real and what is manufactured is a full time job; it is hard work. This maelstrom of anxiety is being perpetrated on the American public to divide, confuse, and suppress the vote. We need to focus on what is real and where we can make positive strides toward taking back our country.
Reality for Democrats in Downers Grove Township is encouraging. There is an unbridled energy that keeps growing as we work toward getting candidates on the ballot for 2018. If you have not caught the big wave, there is still time to surge with the tide and become a Precinct Committeeman, or help one of the many candidates collect signatures to run. Here are some very real things that are happening here and now:
· There are 8 Democrats who are running to be the nominee in the 6th Congressional District.
· There will be contested Democratic primaries in County Board Districts 2 and 3, as well as State Representative District 47.
· Candidates are collecting signatures in our 3 State Representative Districts and 2 State Senate Districts.
· Three Democratic Congressmen representing parts of Downers Grove Township are running for re-election.
· Energetic students from the Hinsdale Central AP classes are actively engaged in hands-on activities supporting Democratic candidates.
· Damien Casten arranged for a wine delivery truck to transport relief supplies to fire victims in California.
· Volunteers have been phone banking to inform voters about issues including gun control legislation, women’s reproductive health and ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment.
· The DGTDO office has become a hub for drop-in discussion, a campaign focal point, and a meeting place for committees.
· New people are becoming part of our local Democratic family.
All of this is made possible by the generosity of local Democrats who are sharing their time, talent and treasure. Thank you all for what you are able to do.