By Chris Hotchkin
The daily news is overwhelming. It feels like our country is becoming undone. Do we turn off the news, leave the newspaper on the porch, disengage? No, we step up and kick in. Now is not the time to turn off; now it is more important than ever to get involved and stay involved in the politics of our community, our state, and our nation. The 2020 election is over a year away, but there is a lot to be done right now, and in the months to come. Here are 10 ways to get involved or stay engaged:
- Collect signatures on candidate petitions. Candidates need to collect signatures to get on the primary ballot. Any registered voter can collect signatures for any candidate. Even if you have never done this before, our candidates need your help. Go to the Downers Grove Twp. Democrats Office, 908 Curtiss Ave. in Downers Grove, any afternoon or on Saturday morning. We will provide you with blank petitions, a list of Democratic households to visit, and some instructions. Those who are collecting petition signatures report that they are being very well received at the doors of Democrats.
- Register voters. If you are a precinct committeeman, you are a Voter Registrar. If you are not a precinct committeeman, you can be appointed as a Voter Registrar. Just let our township chair Kim Savage know you are interested. Even if you are not an official voter registrar, you can let voters know that they can register online at ova.elections.il.gov. Check with your neighbors, your family, your co-workers, your book club. Encourage everyone to register to vote!
- Consider becoming an elected Precinct Committeeperson. Contact our Township Chair, Kim Savage to see if there is a Democratic PC in your precinct. If not, it only takes 10 signatures on a petition to get on the Primary ballot and be elected as a Democratic Precinct Committeeperson. There is no better way to serve the Democratic Party!
- Stay informed on the issues. Attend town halls with our amazing U.S. Congressmen and women or our great state representatives and state senators. Attend meetings of the DuPage County Board, or the Downers Grove Township Trustees, or your village council or school board. Attend the monthly meeting of our Downers Grove Township Democratic Organization. See some of the other events listed in this newsletter and make a point to attend those that interest you.
- Call your representatives about issues that are important to you. The contact information for all our representatives are listed in this newsletter.
- Write letters to the editor about issues that are important to you. Check the guidelines for local papers about letters to the editor, and write your own.
- Host a Meet and Greet for Democratic candidates. Just let your favorite candidates know you are willing to do this, set a date with them, and invite your friends and neighbors to your home to meet our great candidates.
- Offer to help candidates with mailings, or phone calls or canvassing.
- Give money! Donate to your favorite candidates, attend fundraisers, donate to the Downers Grove Township Democrats office fund, donate to the Democratic Party.
- Stay positive about our community, our state, and our nation. Working together we will sweep out the corrupt and inept Trump administration. Working together we will bring Fair Taxes to Illinois. Working together we will keep our community safe and welcoming. Neighbors working together closed the poison spewing Sterigenics that threatened the health of our families. The lesson is we can accomplish so much when we all pitch in.