NOT THE “DO-NOTHING” DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS!
By Joanna Williams
Fake News? – that’s Trump calling the Democratic Congress the “Do-Nothing Congress”.
Reality? – that’s the Democratic House passing almost 400 bills while Trump accuses the Democrats of doing nothing and Mitch McConnell refuses to bring Democratic bills to the Senate floor.
Since coming to power in January 2019 House Democrats have passed a wide range of bills ranging from sweeping anti-corruption and pro-democracy reform (H.R. 1) to bills to save net neutrality, pass universal background checks for guns (H.R. 8), and reenter the U.S. into the Paris climate accords. They have also put a large emphasis on health care, focusing on bills to lower prescription costs (H.R. 3), protect pre-existing conditions (H.R. 986), and condemning the Trump administration’s legal battle to strike down the ACA in the courts.
A few examples of bills passed in the House that have all been stonewalled in the Senate:
- H.R. 1 – Campaign finance reform and anti-corruption legislation.
- H.R. 3 – Lowering drug costs for all Americans by allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices.
- H.R. 5 – The Equality Act.
- H.R. 6 – the DREAM Act.
- H.R. 7 – The Paycheck Fairness Act to close the gender pay gap.
- H.R. 8 – Universal background checks for gun purchases.
- H.R. 9 – The Climate Action Now Act.
- H.R. 986 – Protecting Americans with Pre-existing conditions.
- H.R. 987 – Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour.
- H.R. 1112 – Closing the background check loopholes for all gun sales.
If we want to see these outstanding bills become law – we must keep the Democratic House, flip the “Do Nothing” Republican Senate, and elect a Democratic President! Let’s get busy!