VOTE BY MAIL (VBM) Q & A
By Joanna Williams
VBM Application Questions
If you applied on line and also received VBM application(s) in the mail, no need to fill out the additional mailed applications. No problem if you do submit more than one application – in any case, you will NOT get more than one ballot!
VBM Ballot Questions
1) Signature issues: Your signature on the outside of the ballot is matched to your signature on your voter registration. Normally your ballot will not be rejected if your signature matches but is missing a middle initial. If you are basically unsure of your overall signature, you can update your voter registration on the Election website which uses your driver’s license signature as your voter registration signature. If your ballot is rejected due to mismatched signatures, a letter is sent to the voter with instructions for returning a notarized signature.
2) Returning your completed ballot (NO POSTAGE NEEDED)
· By mail – must be postmarked no later than Nov 3 and received at the Election Commission within 2 weeks of Nov 3.
· Drop off at secure drop box. Currently there are 2 drop off boxes, one outside the 421 Bldg in Wheaton, another inside the 421 Bldg.
· Drop off at Early Voting site or polling place on Election Day
· Changed your mind – want to vote in person instead of using your mail-in ballot. You can surrender your mail-in ballot at an Early Voting site or your Polling Place but you must have all the original parts.
· Spoiled your mail-in ballot. Call the Election Commission for a new ballot to be sent, or vote in person by surrendering your ballot as detailed above.
· Track your ballot from printed to accepted. Sign up on the Election website home page (https://www.dupageco.org/Election/) to receive updates by text and/or email.
MOST IMPORTANT – NO MATTER HOW YOU END UP VOTING, THE SOONER THE BETTER!
· IF MAIL-IN BALLOT, VOTE THE ENTIRE BALLOT AS SOON AS YOU GET IT AND RETURN IT IMMEDIATELY!
· IF IN PERSON, VOTE EARLY STARTING SEPTEMBER 24 (Election Authority Site in Wheaton only) or at EARLY VOTING SITES STARTING OCTOBER 19