H.R. 1: FOR THE PEOPLE ACT OF 2021. IT’S A BIG DEAL!
By Margaret Brownlie
Hello Fellow Democratic Warriors! Are you interested in…
- Protecting Voters from many and various forms of suppression?
- Protecting our vote from hackers and unfair voting practices?
- Eliminating the power of Citizens United? Corporations and their DARK MONEY specifically.
- Securing and requiring transparency in the ethics of our politicians and Supreme Court?
- Requiring tax returns as a pre-requisite for running for President…?
DO I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION?
- H.R. 1 is a BIG DEAL! It is also a BIG BILL…over 890 pages and looming ahead as legislators plan on tackling the deep concerns of their constituents.
- H.R. 1creates federal standards for the administration of elections, eases voter registration rules, expands ballot access through early and mail voting, and strengthens voting system security.
- H.R. 1recommits to the protections of Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, restores felony voting rights, creates safeguards against purges of voting rolls, and requires voter-verified paper ballots.
- H.R. 1bans partisan gerrymandering, establishes uniform rules for the drawing of districts, and requires independent redistricting commissions for congressional redistricting.
- H.R. 1includes several changes related to disclosure of certain campaign finance activities, regulation of on-line campaigning, and enforcement through the Federal Election Commission.
As a member in a couple of Election Security groups (THERE ARE MANY), the areas of continued concern for me (BMD’s and some voting machines that are still hackable and connected to the internet) are being addressed at a grass roots level. It is our time to help. Find out which part of the bill lights you up!
I hope you will dig into an area of your concern and learn how you can be part of crafting the bill through various trained groups in correspondence with the legislators. Let them know your thoughts. Nonpartisan groups like SmartElection.us and scrutineers.org are working tirelessly to help tweak this bill. Working remotely from home is a big plus right now and YOU CAN HELP make this happen.
If nothing else, help support this legislation. Become part of the solution in cleaning up the election practices and protecting voting rights.
Please contact your legislators with encouragement to pass H.R. 1. I use TEXT 50409 then type “RESIST”. A bot will help you convey your concerns.
I found trying to read H.R. 1 overwhelming, so I found an annotated version on the Brennan Center website.
I will add a link to assist you in reading the following summaries regarding H.R. 1 so we simple folk can actually see how amazing it is: Here’s the link.
- Title I: Modernizing Voter Registration, Restoring Voting Rights, Protecting the Ballot
- Title II: Restoring the Voting Rights Act, DC and Territorial Voting Rights, Ending Gerrymandering
- Title III: Election Security
- Title IV: Campaign Transparency, Countering Foreign Interference
- Title V: Empowering Small Donors and Related Reforms
- Title VI: Enforcing Campaign Finance Laws, Strengthening Campaign Contribution Limits
- Title VII: Supreme Court Ethics Reform, Expanding Lobbyist Disclosure, FARA Reform, Recusal of Presidential Appointees
- Title VIII: Executive Branch Ethics Reforms
- Title IX: Congressional Ethics Reforms
- Title X: Disclosure of Presidential Tax Returns
PLEASE HELP US SUPPORT THE PASSAGE OF H.R. 1